Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Exhaust opinions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Exhaust opinions
Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We just finished up the latest version of our exhaust and we have found a repeatable 1.5hp and 2ft/lb gain over a current popular design on our DynaPak for the 1999 cars. My issue is now with design legality.

Our muffler has an integrated exhaust tip that is 2.5" in OD. When I look at other exhausts (like the Sprigfield Dyno version in the attached picture, the inlet and outlets are much larger than the allowed piping - as we know. Even the flaired piece that mates to the outlet is larger. My question is, if there was no piping further downstream than the integrated outlet, would people still consider it legal?

Not sure I am getting my point across but if that muffler shot straight out the back without choking down to 2 1/4", would people consider it an illegal piece?

-

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Something must be wrong Andy, apparently nobody around here has any opinions......

I personally and trying to imagine what that muffler would look like.

I think if the hole is in the body of the muffler you prolly could get it ruled either way depending on the mood of tech that day.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy, I could care less about your exhaust or anyone else that is spending their way through the class. [Smile] What I will say is that Spec Miata is a spec class & IMHJ this past change of no taping/coating/whatever with the exhaust rule didn't go far enough. Spec the O.D. with a reasonable manufacturing tolerance, spec a wall thickness with a tolerance & were done with it. I want to add a connector flange to the output of my exhaust pipe for doing Dyno work except if I weld the piece to the exhaust it will be larger than 2 1/4 inch & make the whole deal illegal.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

9.1.8.C.1.m.4.a "....and the tubing is a maximum of 2.25 inches outside diameter."

1.m.4.c. "No expansion chambers. A single muffler may be added."

No size is given for the muffler, so it can have 2-5/8" inputs, but the pipe can't have the 2.5" O.D. section, and be compliant. You would have to run the 2.25" pipe up to the muffler and attach it without the expanded (too wide) section of pipe.

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy, my take on it would be that the tubing (or pipe) cannot be over 2.25" od. You are aloud a muffler and it doesn't say where or what OD it has to be. The muffler inlet and outlet are not the tubing. Having said that, you have opened up a can of worms. Even you called it an integrated OUTLET. I consider that not part of the muffler even if it is welded to it. If I put the muffler way up front and build it with a 2.5 x 4' straight pipe integrated to it would that be ok?
I'm sure smarter heads will have a better answer but I would say no.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Chris70 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 17-7-70
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris70   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

are the springfield dyno exhausts built that way?

--------------------
"Talent is often perseverance in disguise"

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The SD muffler has a 2.5 inch input and output( about 3 inches before and after), the pipe coming into and out of the muffler is 2.25. Legal to the rule IMO.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the muffler is manufactures with an outlet of any size and no tubing is added/system ends at muffler outlet, I see it as legal as the rules are written.

--------------------
Jerry

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good discussion guys (except DD LOL). The picture I posted is the SD exhaust. It runs from right (engine) to left (bumper).

The inlet and outlet of the supplied muffler is 2 5/8" OD.

Our tubing all the way up to the muffler inlet is 2 1/4". As with the SD exhaust, the inlet and outlet of the actual muffler is more than the allowed 'system size'. The issue is that we don't have any more pipe past the 'muffler outlet'.

I agree Jerry...

Soup: I am not sure you can say that the inlet and outlet aren't tubing and then say in the same breath that it's not part of the muffler?

Look at the picture again. If the system terminated at the end of the 2 5/8" piece (muffler outlet), would you consider that a legal piece? I do because there is no spec on muffler size. Right?

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looking at the photo, the non-compliant part would be the short section of pipe that has been expanded to 2.5". Other than that, the pipe and muffler are compliant. Would somebody bust you for that couple of inches of oversized pipe? Only if it meant you were the National Champion...... Or, ......

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
Looking at the photo, the non-compliant part would be the short section of pipe that has been expanded to 2.5". Other than that, the pipe and muffler are compliant. Would somebody bust you for that couple of inches of oversized pipe? Only if it meant you were the National Champion...... Or, ......

I agree 100%. Ours does not do this.

The issue in my mind with our design is that the 2 1/2" muffler outlet is effectivly a 2" long tailpipe and LOOKS like part of the system which would require it to be 2 1/4", when in reality it shouldn't. [Frown]

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've never been 100% comfortable with the way the SD goes together. We all had it so I never gave it a thought as to getting protested. It seems to me that if somebody got himself out of the glass house while making the same or better power, and wanted to start throwing stones, that person would probably win the protest.

IMO the rule should read "muffler must have 2.25" ID inlet/outlet with 2.25" ID internal perforated muffler pipe, additional muffler may be added for low sound pollution tracks." Or something. Too easy (well, not easy, but possible) to simply make an expansion chamber in a muffler housing and call it soup. Some of the DDG exhausts have looked like this, and IMO are legal to the letter of the rule.

I agree with Wheel's interpretation, mating to the 2.25" pipe should be accomplished with lots of welding wire.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Also, our system does not use any of the SD componentry, including the muffler. Just trying to make a legal, quiet(er), light and powerful system for our internal customer base which we may market outside out little fifedom.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

If that 2.25" tube was expanded within the entry to the muffling device, and then welded in, it would be very hard to find it non-compliant.

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can I ask "what picture?"

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

The one in the original post.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

quote:
If that 2.25" tube was expanded within the entry to the muffling device, and then welded in, it would be very hard to find it non-compliant.

And not saying or not saying it's legal or illegal. Just using the unit as an example of what is being used and how the inlet-outlet is interpreted.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dont see the picture either?
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
quote:

And not saying or not saying it's legal or illegal. Just using the unit as an example of what is being used and how the inlet-outlet is interpreted.
Andy,
Did you try putting a "restrictor" on the end to take it back to 2 1/4? What about a conical taper on the end back to 2"? Could be argued all are part of the "muffler", but still meet the intent of the rules?

Blake

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Ya Blake. It makes the same power put takes away the cool sound. [Frown]

Link to pic of SD exhaust:

http://www.roadraceautox.com/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=632

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

still no picture.

--------------------
Paul McLester

The link 2 posts above works for me.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

NER88 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I see nothing in your first post and the 2nd link goes to a blank page.

--------------------
Jerry

Friggen technology! lol

-

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

jerestahl Verified Driver

Region: DC
Car #: 45
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jerestahl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is how we did my last SM. We took pieces of 2-1/4 and taper swedged to meet the major diameter of the muffler inlet / outlet. Thus no part of the straight tubing is larger than 2-1/4. Why 2 mufflers ? I like quiet and the chassis dyno said the engine did not care.

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00005545/SMExhaustComboEM.jpg

NER88 Verified Driver

I would say the 2-1/2" flared section is not legal.
Why? How long can the flared section be? 1 inch or 36? The way I read the rules is not at all.

--------------------
Jerry

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy, the picture in my head the your's weren't the same. I would think that would be legal. Nowhere do the rules say what OD or length the muffler outlet has to be. At best maybe you could have shortened the 2.5 od pipe by 1" just leaving enough sticking out of the flange to weld.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Charlie,

The pic Andy is showing is the SD exhaust.

It is, in my opinion, nowhere near (not) legal.

John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Guys, I am not trying to say that the SD exhaust isn't legal. I am just asking if it ended at the muffler outlet (which has a 2 5/8" OD), would people agree it's legal or illegal. Simple question.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had the same thought, but not the inclination to pursue it.
I would say it's legal for the same reason you do. Same parts, just different placement.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

DDG Verified Driver Series Champ
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DDG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Andy I've been down this road already. This is not legal because (I was told) the rules require the pipe to be 2.25 and I had increased / changed the diameter of the pipe. I lost the protest and fixed it. Rap the exhaust so they can't see it.....no wait, you cant do that.

Go bang your head against the side of your trailer.

David

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: