Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Competition Tires » Hoosier SM Tire Pressure

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Hoosier SM Tire Pressure
rmgroth Series Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rmgroth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have never run these tires before - can someone give me an idea of what to use for baseline tire pressures on a '99?

I will be using them in a 3hr enduro, so getting the pressure in the ballpark is kind of important as we only have 1 pitstop and dont really want to take the time to check tire pressures.

--------------------
Ryan Groth
#52 SM
NASA Midwest Series Director

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run lower pressures than I did on Toyos. I start the Hoosier fronts at 30 lbs and rears at 28 lbs. Hot pressures are around 38 lbs. I do know racers who start Hoosiers as low as 26 and as high as 32.

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Go to the link (below) from the Tire Rack. Scroll to the bottom and you will see a *.pdf file that has good info from Hoosier.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=R6

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From what I heard from ITA guys, they like >36 psi hot? I have not tested
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use to run the ITA miata at 28 cold. Big Swerve is right, you are looking for around 36 hot.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I shoot for 39 hot. Maybe that is one of my many problems. I've tried lower, but didn't like the feel.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

38-40 is where you want to be in most cases. More air will be faster, but will also make car a little more "free". I've run a 93 ITB Golf for 4-5 years and we are in the 40-42 psi hot after a 3 hr stint. Lower pressure may feel comfortable, but will also prematurely wear the tire faster. It may take a little time to get use to the higher pressure but it will reduce rolling resistance and you will be smoother in the long run.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See... clear as mud. The cold ranges seem to be between 26 and 32. Hot ranges 34 to 40. Take your pick in the middle somewhere for a starting point and test from there.

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Hoosiers are FAR more tolerant of a wide pressure/temperature range than the Toyos. I've run anywhere from 36 hot to 42 hot and all that really changes on the tires is the balance. I would typically shoot for 38 hot to start and go from there. You definitely don't need to roast them to make them work though.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any one have any experience with the Hankook z214?
Quick?
Longevity?

Thanks

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We have run the Hoosier SMs quite a bit on our 1.6. We like the lower end of the pressure range. I find the lower the pressure the more compliant the car is. I like 26-27 cold and figure it will gain about 6psi from there. In my experience this tire doesn't need the high pressures the RA1 does. The lower pressure will cost you in straight line speed but on technical tracks it more than makes up for it in the corners.

YMMV...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: