Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » How to deal with CHEATER parts?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: How to deal with CHEATER parts?
Don Esbjornson

Region: CENDIV
Car #: 28
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Don Esbjornson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I purchased a used SPEC MIATA last summer from an individual who was an SCCA member, driving coach, and most importantly REGION CHAMPION 2-years running with the car in question. I'm not too mechanical, so I used a professional shop for just about everything. When the car arrived, we did the once over, replacing minor wear parts, changing fluids, new tires, and a good alignment. We also did a 'leak-down' test on the cylinders, and found 10% across the board. I really enjoyed the car and racing at Autobahn Country Club six-times as well as two SCCA races at Road America. After the season completed, we did another leak-down test, and found that (2) of the cylinders had increased to 15% and 18%. My shop recommended a rebuild by Stewart Engines for the best performance possible while staying well within the Spec. Miata competition rules. The motor was removed by my shop, and shipped to Stewart.

Here's the part that bothers me:

Stewart Engines gave me a report that stated the BLOCK, PISTONS, CAM and HEAD were all out of spec. for competition within the SCCA, and were clearly either manipulated and/or purchased that way. This was no accident! So, I'm in this for ANOTHER $ 1,000 to get it back within spec. not to mention the motor rebuild.

I contacted the prior owner with (2) emails. The first email was just a "Hey, how ya doin', does this email still work"? He responded very quickly, and my response email dropped the bombshell. Needless to say, the prior owner DID NOT respond the 2nd email.

What's the protocol on this?

I would have been extremely embarrassed had I finished well enough in a race to go through a thorough tech. inspection, and be found to be using CHEATER parts. I guess lucky for me! At the same time, this individual used the car for 2-Regional wins, and then uses his track record to promote himself as a driving coach, not to mention a couple of free-rides in MAJOR endurance races.

I post here for your advice. [Mad]

Thanks,

Don Esbjornson

--------------------
Autobahn Country Club Member
Chicago Region SCCA Member
Instructor - NCM, Katech, ABCC

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Continue to try to contact the guy. Offer to swap out the bad parts for new ones. He may want them back and then you save some money.

As far as reputation. I'd say thats a tough one. Unless his guys check the parts now, then its a he said/she said deal. You had the car for some time and could have done the work on the sly (I'm just saying....).

In another form of racing I did, buying any used engine meant it went straight to my builder to be checked out. Non-compliance was cheap and easy. Not real practical for most of us in SM though.
Bummer.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don, I too heard about this motor. This was blatant BIG TIME cheating.

Advanced Autosports has been doing a lot of engine work this winter. We have found multiple ported/polished intakes, ported heads and "adjusted" welds on exhaust manifolds.

All of these engines where installed in a used racecar or purchased used as an engine package. Most where claimed to be front runners and 2 where claimed to be untouched crate motors!!! One of the supposed crate motors wasn't even a crate motor (there are ways to tell a crate from a OEM engine).

My advice would be to know who you are buying from. Or buy new.

Another option would be more thorough inspections prior to buying the car. Instead of the normal walk around and check the brakes type lookover, pay to have the intake and exhaust pulled.

I wish this didn't happen to anyone, but it does.Buyer be ware!

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They say sunlight is the best disinfectant. Give the guy one more email asking for a crate motor and then post pictures and descriptions of all the cheats along with his name and let the sharks tear him apart.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with Kent. Give the dude a chance to make it right, then post the facts. If I had paid a premium for a front running car, that turned out to be illegal, I would probably think I had been a victim of fraud.
wheel

Don Esbjornson

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Don Esbjornson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A few have asked what was done to the car:

Here's a list from my shop -

1.) Crank modified for Tear drop Oil scoops and balanced in such away balancing work stands out.

2.) Has 1 set of 4 JE forged pistons and rings / oversize

3.) Block has been bored over Std size to use JE Piston ( to large to refit std Mazda Part)

4.) Cylinder head has bowls below the seats machine ported with large scalop type cuts. No porting allowed.

5.) Reground cheater cams.

--------------------

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hard to imagine that he sold the car with these illegal modifications knowing that they would come to light as soon as the new owner tore the engine down. Doesn't seem very bright on his part if he is going through the effort to cheat.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As was shown in the Cal Speed DQ, hopefully as tech gets better and these things come to light, the exposure and embarrresment the forums give to the cheater will discourage others in the future.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The previous owner could also have been a victim of fraud. [Roll Eyes]

I heard he bought that engine from a little old lady who only ran ITA on Sundays....

Sounds like a nice motor for some other class. Advertise it for sale and let the new owner freshen it up, then buy something legal.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Outing is really the only way this is going to get stopped. That list is pretty comprehensive of no-no's in the class, give him a chance... otherwise feed him to the hounds. I don't think "I know what you did last summer" background talk is going to do much good to blatant cheating such as this.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

out him. Then if it's not him, he'll "out" who sold HIM the motor...

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hope that guy is really proud of the two championships he won with a bored and ported cheater engine. Hope he gets a nice warm feeling when he looks at his trophies.

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wouldn't a quick pull on a dyno brought these things to light before buying? 130+hp would be a red flag..

Cheater cams were legal in '06 and prior, correct? For anyone buying a car, if it has a name brand motor that was run in '06 could it be very probable that it has old cams in it?

Disclaimer--Although I am 38, my SMT age is only 16 months..

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you do "out" him, be sure to stick to the clear facts. I wouldn't literally accuse him of anything; rather, I would state the simple facts that (i) you bought the car from him, with that motor in it; (ii) you had never messed with the engine's internals, (iii) when you had it torn down, you discovered that laundry list of rules violations, and (iv) he refused to communicate with you on the subject.

Let your readers draw the obvious inferences, but you risk defamation issues if you stray from known facts (e.g., the engine had these violations) by making accusations not completely supported by known facts (e.g., he knowingly had a cheater motor built).

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A strong case could be made that if he DOESN'T out the guy, he'll be doing the biggest disservice he possibly could do to everyone in the SM community and/or everyone that deals with the guy in the future.

The only possible excuse the guy could have for the above mentioned "enhancemnts" is the old "I Was Had By My Engine Builder(s) excuse. There is a sub catagory rule: "I Was Had By The Previous Owner" excuse and this is the rule the current owner would be (legitimately) crying if he had, in turn, sold the heap to some other victim.

The previous owner "just might" be a victim of either of these two rules, but if so, he should be as interested in outting the guilty party as the current owner. At the very least, we should know the region that passed on this rocket so the region members can hold somebody's feet to the fire to turn the tech screw a little tighter.

If you stick to the facts, there is no libel. Besides, you're cheating the entire SM community out of hearing the excuses he, or his builder, come up with.

C'mon! It's still winter! This could amuse us until the ground thaws.

Pretty hard to use the "Had by the engine builder" excuse when you pay the guy $XXX per hour to do the work and you have to pay for the oversized pistons, etc. He could use the "previous owner" excuse, which is what Don would have been doing if he hadn't torn the engine down.
Hey Don, who sold you the car?

Don Esbjornson

All of your input has been great, not to mention a TON of private messages to my email. Our little track at Autobahn has over 50-competitors in the SM class, and with a 12-race season in our club, I'm sure this issue will be raised there as well. It's my intention to qualify for my Natl. license after the run at Blackhawk in late April, and I'm happy to have found this mess out now vs. a tech. inspection that pointed the finger at me.

As far as the prior owner, I'm giving him a chance to 'explain' himself before I hand him over to all of you for stoning and be-heading. Believe me, I'm NOT happy about the additional expense I will incur to get this car right.

One other note: I've been a member of the Corvette Forum for a number of years, and have had more fun on this forum in 1-day than I can say I have had over there for a very long time. I think it's the COMPETITIVE nature of our sport vs. the enthusiast at Corvette.

Thanks for all of your input fellas. We'll see where this goes soon enough.

--------------------

You know you miss him...

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does this mean that if he skinny's up for the engine expense you'll keep his little secret?

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Don Esbjornson:
One other note: I've been a member of the Corvette Forum for a number of years, and have had more fun on this forum in 1-day than I can say I have had over there for a very long time. I think it's the COMPETITIVE nature of our sport vs. the enthusiast at Corvette.

Advantages of SM.com over Corvetteforum:

1) Less anonymity
2) Less Zaino
3) When the green flag drops, the bullshit stops

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Pruitt, you cynic, you're my kind of person.

wheel

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The truth is an absolute defense to a defamation claim! When you bought the car were you told that the car had a pro motor built by...........(fill in the blank)? I agree with "outing" both the seller and the builder and let them defend the motor. Sounds like you were fraudulently induced into buying the car.

--------------------
Paul McLester

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Don Esbjornson:

Try OT [Big Grin]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a question... Which is worse?

1) This guy who sold a car with a blatantly cheated up engine.

OR

2) The guy who sells his car as a top level car, but before it goes away pulls all the go-fast goodies off of it.

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

Why try to quantify evil? There is no "worse" when you are talking about the devil of amateur racing, cheating.

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:

Best. Quote. Evar.

--------------------
Brian

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From the other thread, the list of parts is what the Pro motor builders were doing a couple years ago. (not the pistons)
As rules creep does, this is going to be one of the byproducts.

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

You know you miss him...

Long time race car buyers secret Mike: You take delivery of the car in the pits right after the
RunOffs/AARC/June Sprints, if there is no smoke, rattle or dent.

Don Esbjornson

quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:
From the other thread, the list of parts is what the Pro motor builders were doing a couple years ago. (not the pistons)
As rules creep does, this is going to be one of the byproducts.

John

I said it from the beginning of this Thread (and this is my 1st thread on SM), I'm a newbie! I am/was honestly looking for advice and comments on what was going on, and what was the correct protocol on dealing with the information that my shop had given me. At the time of my Thread posting, the seller had not responded to my 2nd email for nearly 7-days (last Tuesday, Jan. 27th). I learned on Corvette Forum that there is POWER in these forums, and after having an issue with a transmission purchase, the MFG. responded well only after a post on CF.

No great surprise, I received a response from the seller yesterday, and offer it in its entirety for all of you to review:

Don,

I'm sorry that the motor isn't what you need it to be going forward. I made some phone calls to verify my understanding of the motor; that's why it took me a little longer to get back to you. Let's review the history of that motor.

After my previous motor expired, I bought a new crate motor from Mazdaspeed. I sent the head to Sunbelt for a legal prep. I don't know what Sunbelt did and I recognize that I was responsible for racing a legal engine. However, that is what I paid for and I could only assume I was provided a legal head. I never opened the motor so I never knew what was in there, nor would I have been able to tell. There was a commonly exploited loophole then of using cam blanks ground to "ideal" specs within factory tolerances (blueprinting). However, in my understanding the cams should still have conformed to factory specs and I assume that they do (wear excepted). I don't know what has happened since then about using re-ground cams. I also don't know that Sunbelt used reground cam blanks. I'm not an engine specialist and certainly Sunbelt doesn't publish what they do to a head. What I was buying was Sunbelt's reputation for building fast, legal engines and that is what I was advertising by noting Sunbelt as the builder of the head.

That motor (Sunbelt head on a crate bottom end) failed after only 11.5 hours; you will recall we discussed that I was not pleased about that. After teardown, it was determined that the head was OK but the bottom end was destroyed. The head was then re-assembled on an existing bottom end. That bottom end used forged pistons. At that time, there was a rule that allowed non-OEM parts of the same dimensions. The forged pistons were therefore legal. The pistons were very minimally oversize to allow for the cylinders to be re-honed. However, they were definitely NOT achieving larger displacement. Bottom line, none of what was done to the bottom end made any performance advantage and it was legal. The crankshaft had been balanced when the bottom end was assembled, although I only found that out today. But again there was no performance advantage to the balancing or the pistons. I never would have run a cheater motor and those who know me know I would never taint my performance with cheating.

That bottom end had half a season of racing on it when I sold the car. But it was not the Mazdaspeed crate bottom end. We discussed all of this at the time of the sale. Also, in the advertisement you sent, it notes a Sunbelt head, but does not specify the builder of the bottom end.

I don't know anything about any other machine work done to the motor, either by Sunbelt to the head or by the previous owner of the bottom end. Since I'm not a professional mechanic I never had any way to verify what I purchased but I trust the seller of the bottom end and I trust Sunbelt. I staked my reputation racing that motor and winning a championship with it, just the way I sold it to you. I advertised the car as in the form in which I won the championship, and went through many technical inspections, and that is exactly what I delivered to you.

I'm not making excuses or splitting hairs, but keep in mind that the Spec Miata rules have evolved over time. What was legal when I sold the car may have changed since then.

Don, the car has been in the winner's circle many times and therefore subjected to multiple inspections. To the best of my knowledge the car fully complied with the rules at the time I sold it.

I wish you the best of luck racing the car.

That's it fellas. I don't see any reason to name names at this point. That is not/was not my objective.

The lesson here - BUYER BEWARE / SELLER BEWARE

I bought this car over the internet from MANY miles away, and had one referral on character that wasn't terribly positive. I bought the car anyway . . . now I will pay the price to get it right for TODAY's specs.

--------------------

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don, you're a classy guy. I'd be a lot more pissed if I were you, but you definietly did a service to a lot of people with this thread. Good luck!

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

no advantage to balancing, no advantage to forged pistons, no advantage to running oversize bore, no advantage to worked head. Lots of money for no advantage.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Benthin:
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:

Best. Quote. Evar.
and when the checkered flag drops...the bullshit starts again.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don,

That reply sounded like a lot of BS and covering the you know what. Overbore pistons were NEVER allowed. Period. Balancing the crank, way out there. And to top it all off, the individual claims non of it to be a performance advantage.

It's disapointing you got screwed and the seller won't help make it right.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA