Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » PPF bolt removal

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: PPF bolt removal
Glynis27

Region: ummm...I live in Ohio, so whatever that is
Car #: working on that (eleventy billion +2)
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glynis27     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am having a hell of a time removing the PPF bolt with the collar that goes into the rear dif. I have sprayed and heated it but it is not wanting to turn much. I have gotten it to make 10 complete turns (which took all of my strength with a 3-foot breaker bar) but it is not getting easier, and im not sure if anything is really happening. I was hoping it would break or something so i could at least get it over with. Am I doing something wrong? I don't exactly know what to do with the collar. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW - If I buy a Mazdaspeed comp rear dif, does it replace all the housing so i dont have to worry about the broken off bolt?

--------------------
lalalalala...floating around in a cloud of ignorant bliss...

Glynis27

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glynis27     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, my car is a '92 if it matters.

--------------------

Bill Whitney Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 54 & 84
Year : 1992 & 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Whitney   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3Ft [rolling on floor laughin] I had to use a 4ft bar [boggled] and brace my feet against the wheel to get enough leverage! They do come out.. Be sure to use a 6pt impact type socket and eye protection in case anything snaps.... Take it slow and they should come out eventually.

If you get a Comp diff, it will only be the inards. You will need to transfer you ring gear to it. Have an experienced shop do the setup and install unless you are familiar with the procedure

[ 07-24-2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: BillW ]

--------------------
Bill Whitney
NER SSM #54

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a heck of time getting mine to come out also and we ended up using an oxy-acetylene torch get them to break loose after we removed the ppf and the diff case together. We are pretty sure we put a few twists in the bolts before they finally came out.

The diff is only the internals of the case not either sections of the housing. If you call Mazdaspeed and tell them you need the 2 bolts for the diff end of the PPF they will know what you need and send them out to you.

--------------------
Dave Cox

David #27 Verified Driver

Region: St. Louis
Car #: 27
Year : 90 SpecMiata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David #27     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any tips on getting the collar out?

David #27
Hawaiian Shirt Racing

Doug63SM Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 63
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Doug63SM   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big ass bolt with a hammer tap in and then pull down. I use a bolt left over from building my deck. It is about 1/2" in diameter and about 10" long. Not sure of the size. I call it my PPF SST tool. I sell them for $50 [Wink]

Doug

PS: Kidding on the price for the non-light at heart. Or better yet, no I am not kidding and sure I will take your money...fool [Smile]

BradB Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BradB     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tried an impact wrench on the PPF bolt and it didn't work. After a long time with the impact wrench, the impact socket broke. So I got a big-ass cheater bar on a breaker bar with an impact socket, and broke another impact socket. Then I tried the impact wrench again and finally rounded off the bolt head. So I removed the PPF and diff as an assembly and cut the bolt head off with a cutoff wheel and a dremel tool. After cutting the bolt, spacer, etc. I finally got it apart. I put it back together will all new bolts and spacers, so it should be a lot easier next time.

Brad

RacerKyle Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 86
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RacerKyle     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Makes me really look foward to that !!!

--------------------
Kyle
Red 1990 number 86!

GMK Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: 20
Car #: 85
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GMK   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used air tools. Stuff came out very easily, but this SM was based on a Florida donor.

The Illinois (read: much rustier) donor was a tad more difficult, but the bolts came out fine. I used a IR231a impact tool (600ft/# torque in reverse).

If you do not have an air compressor, get one.

Good luck.
GMK

--------------------
George Kofman (rentals@specmiata.com)
www.Motorsports-Exchange.com

Don't forget to visit our Racing Data Video Acquisition Superstore!

Mike S

Region: NC
Car #: 60
Year : ITA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike S     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George -

For the benefit of the "mildly experienced" (read; "me") can I have a little more info on the IR231a? I have run into these insane torque values before (water pump on my wife's Civic) but just don't have the tools.

I do have an air compressor, but it's a small one. It only develops about 110 p.s.i.

Thanks, in advance.

Mike

--------------------
Mike
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible "Street Car"

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[ 11-20-2005, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: MBennett ]

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Glynis27

ok, i'll give all this a try this week. I already broke off the first bolt in the dif so ill need to drill and tap that i guess. The other one with the collar better come out.

--------------------

Rooster Tail Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
around

Region: SJR
Car #: 52
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rooster Tail     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looking at the factory manual it tells you not to remove the top collars, and to slide the sleeve down using a big bolt, as described in the above posts. The manual goes on to say that if the top collars are removed, the PPF frame assembly should be replaced.

Anyone know why??? Every bit of diff removal advice, and the technique used (including the one I did last weekend on my car)has you taking the two bolts out, prying out the bottom spacer, putting the bolts partly back in, banging to get the top spacers out, and then removing the diff.

What's wrong with doing it this way?

--------------------
-Tosh Desai
2008 NJRRS SM Champion

"Well, you know, because Thunder always comes after... Lightning!"

BradB Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BradB     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tosh, I suspect that the top collars need to be a very tight fit and if you remove them you might end up with a slight bit of play there. That's the only reason I can think of for the words in the shop manual. However, as you noted, lots of us have removed them and then reinstalled them. It was the only way I could get the PPF off of the diff housing since the bolt had totally seized in the lower spacer and had to be cut to get it out.

Brad

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: