Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Wheels, Tires & Suspension » Tire pressure - rain tires

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Tire pressure - rain tires
ChrisMH

Icon 5 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So let's assume that I've figured out on a given day at a given track what tire pressure to use in my dry weather tires (shaved Toyo RA1s). And it begins to rain so I switch to rains just before the start.

Is there a rule of thumb re tire pressure to use in the rains (full tread Toyos) in this situation? My gut tells me that I need to put in more air as the tire will be running slower - and also cooled by the rain.

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was told to set the rain tires at 38 psi cold.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Team Cochran Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member For Rent

Region: Oregon
Car #: 80
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Team Cochran     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be careful about putting in more pressure than you would in the dry. If the rain stops and you start to get drying on the racing line your tires will heat and pressure will go through the roof quickly. Over about 42 hot is getting too high. When it dries the pressures can go up 8 or 10 psi. So if you start with 38 and it goes to 48 that sounds dangerous to me.

--------------------
Geoff
SM 80

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was told to add 3-4 lbs and it worked out well...it also dried out, and they worked decent for full tread.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Bill Boom Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Boom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisMH:
My gut tells me that I need to put in more air as the tire will be running slower - and also cooled by the rain.

Also, more air is necessary in order for the tire to be firm enough for the tread to do its job of evacuating the water.

speedjohnson Verified Driver

Region: 96
Car #: 2
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for speedjohnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got advise to start them at 28 psi cold. It was a rain race, about 60 degrees ambient. It worked very well.

In the first rain session I had tried a higher pressure and felt that the Toyos were slippery. After letting some air pressure out, they seemed to heat up faster and provided more grip.

Yep, lower pressure in the rain is better in my book.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm another "lower pressure works better for me" person. In downpour conditions at Portland last month, I ran 29.5f/27.5r cold, and it worked great. The car was very neutral. Grip was good enough that I was able to stay on the track during the race while many others spun off- that alone was enough to return one of my best finishes ever.

I've tried higher pressures in the rain, and the car never felt as good.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This thread is obstensibly about full tread Toyo's but the pressure discussions seem to bear on running shaved RA1's in the rain.
My question is at what pressures are folks running full tread Toyo's?
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: