Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Pictures of pinch welds for new guy

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Pictures of pinch welds for new guy
OSR 1

Region: new england
Car #: 23
SMIM: 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OSR 1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can some one please post a picture
Of the front and rear pinch welds and exactly where to measure the ride hight
Thank you

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,

Sorry I dont have a picture, but the pinch weld runs below the rocker panel on each side of the car parallel to the centerline of the car. It is about .75" tall. If you get on the floor looking at the side of the car, you will see it runs the entire lenght of the car between the front and rear tires.

Hope this helps

Greg

OSR 1

Region: new england
Car #: 23
SMIM: 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OSR 1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Greg
The reason I wasn't sure if that was it is the front
by the fender it has a step in it and I wasn't sure if you measured there

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wouldn't rely too much on pinch weld measurements, the welds tend to get deformed. It's a 'ballpark' measurement at best. I prefer measuring the distance between the top of the shock and the bottom of the bump stop, then focus on corner weights.

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm with Denny. Yoo much chance of a mismeasurement at the welds.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I measure at the subframe bolts. I figure that has the least chance to bend (not saying no chance, but least chance). The subframes have flat "pinch" spots where they bolt to the chassis. I measure from these.

Front - measure at the rear subframe bolt looking in from behind the front tire. On my 94, I have been playing with between 10.4cm and 10.8cm ride height to the subframe pinch for the bolt.

Rear - measure at the front subframe bolt looking in from in front of the rear tire. On my 94, I have been playing with between 13.2cm and 13.8cm

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
I prefer measuring the distance between the top of the shock and the bottom of the bump stop, then focus on corner weights.

I have heard this many times but have yet found a way to do it with the car on the ground. Any advice?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Small tie wrap on shock shaft.
Bounce car and roll back then forth.
Reach under car and pull small tie wrap down to sit on top of shock.
Jack up one side, secure under jack stands, measure from bump stop down to bottom edge of the tie wrap.
Car back on ground and repeat process to measure other side.

I did this and this became my baseline. From there, I measured from the chassis points I mentioned above because it is easier to do set ups before every weekend measuring from somewhere else. I know that 3/4" of front travel equates to 10.5cm measurement at the subframe bolt. Rear I know that 1" of travel equals.....

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks!!

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Quartuccio:
Can some one please post a picture
Of the front and rear pinch welds and exactly where to measure the ride hight
Thank you

Take a look at picture 2 (the one with the tape measure).

http://www.specmiata.com/setupguide/SM%20Setup%20G...assis%20Tuning%20Tips.pdf

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: