Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Too Tall for a Miata?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Too Tall for a Miata?
Steve-O

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve-O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very recently purchased a '95 for some track fun. Now that OEM seat is out I'm afraid I may be too tall. Any drivers 6'4" and over please advise what I might do to make my car fit an oversized frame?

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

no seat cushion, mount seat very low removing rear factory mounts, and with a little angle you should just make it. I have heard of guys your size racing miata before. I am 6' but I have room to spare and I could mount my seat lower if I had to.

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Your fine, I'm 6'3 and fit fine, Collins I believe is 6'4? Aluminum seat on the floor issyourfriend.You may have to recline the seat a little, but not much.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Giles Medlicott

Region: NorthWest
Car #: 747
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Giles Medlicott     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'4 and I fit a 1990 with about 1 1/2" between my helmet and the hardtop. Like Drago said, aluminum seat mounted on the floor (custom mounts and massaged the trans tunnel). My Ultrashield still has all the factory padding as well.

Make sure you get the cage build around the seat position. I mounted my Miatacage main hoop a little farther back (larger reclined angle) so with my seat back against the tub, my helmet is not resting on the main hoop.

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All the above is good advice.

If you're still building your tub, take the time to remove the floor mounts, tilt it back a decent enough amount (20* plus will more than likely be the number), and THEN mount your cage.

That was my issue (6'3"/235#/37" waist) but I bought a pre-built car and didn't want to pay to mod the cage bars behind the seat to fit a Sparco. I also went with a Kirkey but can't remember whether it was a 16" or 17".

Also, you will definitely need a steering wheel spacer to bring the wheel closer to your body.

/pimp mode
I have the 1 1/2" spacer from Advanced Auto and am happy with it's placement.
/pimp mode

One other item is if/when you go to purchase a head & neck restraint be sure to be fitted properly for one considering your seat rake/lean.

The HANS 20* model ("standard" for sedan drivers) would have been too upright for me so the 30* worked well.

Best of luck!
Brandon

JamesW Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JamesW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'4, 240 and fit nicely...but snug. Momo seat, rear of which is on the floor. No pad on seat part of seat. Front part of seat is raised a couple inches to help with head room. Plenty of leg room.
Like Giles, I have about an 1 1/2" from head to hard top.

Good luck,
James

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'5". I fit if I bolt an aluminum seat to the floor (remove the bumps). No cover on the seat either. Also removed the headliner for good measure. It's real close but doable.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Steve-O

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve-O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all the input- really do appreciate it as I'm a total newbie. My car has a Hard Dog bar that at the moment, seems to be a limiting factor- hopefully I'll be able to mod either the seat or the bar so I can get out on the track and move forward. Any specific seat info would be helpful.

Finally, my new pal #228 Ken Wilkinson has been very helpful- thanks in advance for your continued patience.

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bolting the seat to the floor is a foregone conclusion. The only issue is whether the bar is high enough. If it's not tight to the roof, you may need to redo it.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

6'3" with longer than average torso. As others have stated, aluminum seat bolted to the floor, I would add make sure that it has a 20 degree layback, plus you may have to tilt it back some.

Greg

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

6'7" aparently is too tall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBW0vROrxPE&feature=fvw

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: